Thursday, May 23, 2013

Homage to Carl Sandburg: Seoul

Technological Leader for the World,
Manufacturer, Front-runner of Business
Performer of the Arts and the Nation’s Entertainer;
Adaptive, conservative, strong,
Supporter of the Small Country

They tell me you are brutal, and I believe them, for I have seen the unmerciful claws of modernity enticing the awed and vulnerable children to a twisted and unkind path.
They tell me you are distasteful, and I believe them, for I have seen the dark shadows of the hungry subtly sweep away young women and children forever.   
They tell me you are cruel, and I believe them, for I have seen the wealthy being flooded with superfluous wealth and happiness and the poor being swamped with depravity and woe. 
Having acknowledged so I face those who deride my city, and I point a mutually accusing finger back to them and say to them:
Come and show me another city with its glory and pride, thankful for its strength, its aptitude, its gifts.
Facing forward and focusing on the future, here lies the small but powerful capital so different from its surrounding modest towns and communities.

Dedicated as a loving mother nurturing of her children, fierce as a protective father guarding his family,
            Growing,
Changing,
Enduring,

Laughing despite the ups and downs,
Laughing through both success and failure,
Laughing with gratitude, laughing with contentment,

Laughing the whole-hearted laughter of Pride, Seoul stands tall and proud, proud to be Technological Leader, Manufacturer, Front-runner of Business, Performer of the Arts and the Nation’s Entertainer.

No comments:

Post a Comment